Re: [asa] Re: Glenn's blog post

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 22:25:07 EDT

My database is getting too large and it took me a while to find this
quotation on the rate of change from glacial to interglacial conditions.

"Climate records contained in Greenland ice reveal that during the last
60,000 years conditions switched back and forth between millennial duration
intervals of intense cold and moderate cold. The transistions occurred on
the time scale of a few decades to as little as a few years. Each interval
of intense cold was matched by an ice-rafting event in the northern Atlantic
and by a greatly increased influx of dust onto the ice cap. Because the
dust deposited onto the Greenland ice cap during glacial time has been shown
to originate in the Gobi Desert, the storminess over Asia must have
undergone pronouced changes." Wallace S. Broecker, "Thermohaline
Circulation, the Achilles Heel of Our Climate System: Will Man-Made CO2
Upset the Current Balance?" Science, 278(Nov. 28, 1997), p. 1584

the rate of change we are experiencing today is simply not unusual and is,
rather a mild rate of change. Frankly, I find everything the climatologists
saying is contradicted by previously experienced conditions in the
relatively recent past. They seem NOT to know about the geology of the
Holocene--the past 11,500 years or so.

During this time, the Holocene Climatic Optimum, for about 3000 years there
were no glaciers in mid-Norway (there are such glaciers there today).

"With the exception of the 6400-5900 yr B. P. sedimentation event at
Gjuvvatnet, evidence for glaciers in the early Holocene is absent."
Asynchronous Neoglaciation and Holocene Climatic Change Reconstructed from
Norwegian Glaciolacustrine Sedimentary Sequences," Geology, 20(1992):992

You can see their chart at my March 24,2009 post to my blog
http://themigrantmind.blogspot.com

During this time a nearly 500 m thick Antarctic ice shelf was melted so that
it was 80 km to the south of its present location.

Amery Ice Shelf, East Antarctica, contains a full and continuous record of
glacial retreat. The AM02 core site is ;80 km south of the floating ice
shelf edge and contains a 0.5-m-thick Holocene surface layer of siliceous
mud and diatom ooze of marine origin. Core data are supportive of sub-
ice-shelf circulation models that predict the landward flow of oceanic
water, and prove that the landward transport of hemipelagic sediments occurs
beneath floating ice shelves over distances of at least ~80 km. An increase
in sea-ice-associated diatom deposition in the upper part of the Holocene
suggests that a major retreat of the Amery Ice Shelf to at least 80 km
landward of its present location may have occurred during the mid-Holocene
climatic optimum." Mark A. Hemer and Peter T. Harris, " Sediment core from
beneath the Amery Ice Shelf, East Antarctica,"Geology; February 2003; v. 31;
no. 2; p. 127-130, p. 127

this was a time when the seas were 2 meters higher than they are at present.
See my March 21, 2009 post entitled "Don't the Polar Bears know when to
die?" There are strandlines at 2 meters above sea level all over the world.

This was a time when the temperature of the earth was 2 deg C higher than it
is now--yet the hysteriacs all claim that what we expect in the way of
temperature rise is unprecedented. Don't beleive it. It isn't unprecedented.
Geology shows that it isn't unprecedented. These are the claims of those who
don't have a clue about any geologic history prior to 300 years ago when the
sacred thermometer, through which we see all things clearly, was invented.
Bless its holy mercury.

But the deuterium temperature, which is based upon the global temperature,
shows that the Holocene Climatic Optimum was hotter than it is today. See
that curve from the Vostok Ice core in a picture from my blog
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Lxqre8hMG3M/ScVFLeQU7QI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/GtEJpuLr2t8/s1600-h/WeatherVostokPostglacialTemp.jpg

No doubt, like with my oil post, my views will be considered a wee bit
wacko, but the thing I try to do is to be ahead of the curve, if I can. I