Re: [asa] The fight in Texas over evolution training in schools

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 13:57:29 EDT

Ted, whenever you are back, or at your convenience, I would be interested in any
emailable materials you mentioned regarding simplified versions of classic
experiments. It may be a bit much for high school level, but I'm always looking
for new ideas to adapt --and to educate myself as well.

George,
I didn't press my student to this level of critique -- in fact, perhaps I
deflated the potential fun & discovery they could have had by showing them up
front how the restoring force function of a pendulum approximates a linear
restoring force at small amplitudes by showing an overlay of a sinusoidal curve
with a tangent line. Very properly I *should have* made them do the math to
calculate how much error this assumption contributed to their results. But we
reasoned that our other error contribution (human use of stop watch --even over
many swings) would still have been the substantial source of error. Shame on
me. But we moved on which is the curse (or balance) of education: either cover
something well, and even let students discover and explore which is then at the
expense of being able to discover & explore other important topics during that
same year as well.

Were you speaking of a college level lab? Or one you did with high school
students? I'm always curious about new lab ideas to make them think about these
kinds of assumptions. I may be looking into some of Ted's offerings as well.

--Merv