RE: [asa] The fight in Texas over evolution training inschools

From: wjp <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 11:55:09 EDT

Ted:

Regarding what you wrote below, a little more than a decade ago I was a member of the International History, Philosophy & Science Teachers Group (IHPST.org), whose journal is Science & Education. I have been talking to a friend of mine, who happens to be a professor of philosophy, about the possibility of creating an introductory science class that would incorporate science, the history of science, and the philosophy of science. When one studies the historical development of an idea (almost any idea), science comes alive with the struggle of making of what we call science. Philosophy is impossible to avoid.

With this in mind, I've been thinking about the rise of what we call today electromagnetic theory. We don't appear to recognize today the tremendous shift that has taken place in our thinking. Faraday, as I understand it, struggled with the idea of "physical" field lines. He could readily accept them as heuristic or as instrumental guides, but as being "physical" he had serious doubts. Why is this? He wanted them to be "physical" to avoid the dreaded action at a distance. He needed a "physical" connection between a changing electric current and an induced current in a distance wire. But in what sense are they "physical"? "Physical" was taken to be tangible, material.

This is simply a small part of the struggles encountered in Maxwell's field theory. Can fields have energy, if they have no mass? Yes, if they waves of the fields wave something, i.e., the ether. Apparently in the 1890's we accepted the notion of fields carrying energy (Poynting). This laid the foundation for a new notion of what is physical. When the ether disappeared did anyone notice that the notion of what is physical had suddenly been radically changed. Is it any wonder that some began to think of energy as spirit. Is it surprising that Einstein could speak of mass and energy being converted the one into the other?

Aside from the fact that I find this interesting, the perspective is lost on almost all practitioners of science, and suddenly of all general science education. I agree with George that amongst the "best" philosophers of science are those who were scientists themselves, although their perspectives often vary considerably (Polkinghorne, Cartwright).

I know that there have been such programs designed and taught, most of them not in this country. Ted, do you know of any? IHPST wrote a full size text on the pendulum.

Well, enough. So much to do, so little time.

bill powers
White, SD