Re: [asa] The fight in Texas over evolution training in schools

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 06:36:06 EDT

Bill, indeed limitations of scientific theories can and should be taught in
science classes. On the surface, the issue of teaching strengths and
weaknesses of anything is pretty obvious. Of course it should be. But what
is seldom mentioned or discussed is "who is the arbiter of what strengths
and what weaknesses are taught?" Whose views of weaknesses should be taught?
Anyone's? Everyone's? The teacher's? It seems to me that in a science class,
all strengths and weaknesses being debated in the technical peer-reviewed
literature should be taught. Strengths and weaknesses outside that body of
literature may be interesting and worthy of discussion in some settings but
not to be taught as science until it gets addressed in the literature.

Randy