Re: [asa] A question on Genesis

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 21:55:06 EDT

Preston -

The question you pose below is a very important one but also one that's not easy to get at. A lot of the earlier critical study of scripture was devoted to taking the text apart, trying to determine different sources, when they may have been written, their theological emphases &c. While sometimes the critics got carried away with this and were overconfident about the "assured results" of biblical research in this regard, that analytical work was an essential step. It could not, however, be the last word. Having taken the text apart & studied the pieces, we need to put it back together. That has led, 1st, to the work called "redaction criticism," in which the process (redaction - or sometimes I just call it editing) of putting material from different sources to form, one of the gospels, is studied. Then "canonical criticism" is the study of the different parts of scripture as part of their canonical whole. I.e., Genesis is not just chapters 1-50 but those chapters as a part of the OT or of the whole Bible.

I should say at this point that the very idea of the canon is rejected by some "religious studies" people for whom the canon is essentially arbitrary. But for anything like traditional Christianity it's crucial. The apocryphal gospels are interesting & can be helpful in understanding the development of Christianity, but they are not part of the authoritative scripture.

OK, your question is how the redactional process took place to give us the final form of the Pentateuch & Genesis in particular. Unfortunately we have very little information about how that took place. The "documentary hypothesis" was that the sources of the Pentateuch were documents called the J (by the Yahwist, but that begins with J in German), E (Elohist), D (Deuteronomist) and P (Priestly). The way this hypothesis used to be presented did sometimes give the picture of a scissors and paste job, someone gluing the different parts together in a sometimes clumsy way. I certainly don't think it happened that way. For starters, we don't even know that there were "documents" rather than, e.g., oral tradition for much of this. But whatever we call them, they are integrated much more skillfully than that picture suggests. The very fact that for centuries not only common people but biblical scholars could read these texts and only occasionally sense some discontinuity shows that. Once one becomes aware of the possibility of sources and starts looking for evidence of them - e.g., when there are what look like duplications of essentially the same story or apparent discrepancies (why is Hagar carrying her 16 or 17 year old son in Gen.21:14-15) - you can find them. But there clearly was an attempt to compose a unified text.

However, that doesn't mean that it was all made internally consistent in the way that a modern western academic might want. If we were combining sources and wanted to preserve the integrity of each we'd clearly indicate which piece came from which source with footnotes or different font or something like that. (See, e.g., a modern edition of The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle or something like that.) If we just wanted a single account to replace the individual sources we'd eliminate the duplications and get rid of the discrepancies. Moses wouldn't get called by God twice in Exodus and his father in law wouldn't have different names in different places. And we'd be sure that there were no theological differences - God wouldn't disapprove of Israel having a king in some parts of I Samuel and OK it in others. But these things apparently didn't bother the Israelites who gave us the present form of our text.

Unfortunately we don't know how the redactors thought about that. Were they simply not aware of some of these differences? That seems hard to imagine but today intelligent people can miss those differences and even vigorously resist the idea that there are any. Did they see a higher theological unity? Or did they simply see texts that are apparently contradictory (like the provisions for sacrifice in Leviticus and the condemnations of sacrifice by the prophets) as both inspired and therefore needing to be preserved? (If the latter, however, they didn't just put them together "mindlessly.)

Those are legitimate questions but in the end we need to get beyond just the intentions of writers and redactors and take seriously the idea that scripture is inspired, not only in writing but also in rbinging together its parts. And while some theologians would object to it, I think there's some truth in the old idea of a sensus plenior, a "fuller sense" of scripture than what the original writers and redactors understood. I.e., the one whose intentions are ultimately important is not the human writers or editors but the Holy Spirit.

Shalom
George