RE: [asa] A question on Genesis

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 13:39:02 EDT

I was going to answer similarly, the statement that Japheth's descendants
populated various places "according to their languages" could easily be
explained from a post facto vantage point. They had their language
confused, and were subsequently dispersed, which was reported later by the
Biblical writers.

The more interesting analysis is to consider who was actually referred to in
the beginning of chapter 11, and whether it was even meant to include
Japheth or Shem -- even just considering the Biblical text, without getting
into the historical authority of Jubilees quotes that Dick gave. (Gen 11:2
speaks of Shinar, which was the dwelling of Nimrod, only one branch of Ham's
line, Gen 10:6-10; also, Gen 10:10 and 11:9 mention the city of Babel which
was Nimrod's domain.)

As to the "one lip" versus "one language", without requiring a possibly
dubious translation as you say, could it not instead be simply referring to
the people in the limited region being considered ('erets' as land, instead
of the whole planet "Earth") as being of the same language? This could
still fit a concordist view, simply by limiting the scope of the people
referred to. (I do recognize that Dick has already addressed this, with
mention of Akkadian and Sumerian being spoken in the region. I don't have
enough background to judge this based on either geography or time sequence,
in relation to what is considered the "tower of Babel" chronology, at least
according to a concordist view.)

A more serious question for a concordist point of view, I think, is the
whole premise of the story of the tower. The people want to build a tower
that will reach heaven. This is an accommodation to ANE cosmology (we know
that heaven isn't a place you can reach by building a sufficiently high
tower, and you wouldn't reach God's domain anyway). And God is concerned
that if they do build such a tower, "nothing will be restrained from them,
which they have imagined to do." What was God concerned with, since they
couldn't reach His heaven as they intended to do? Obviously, there's more
at work here in the text than a strictly literal reading would reveal,
regardless of whether or not it was a historical event.

Jon Tandy