RE: [asa] A question on Genesis

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 23:17:36 EDT

Dear George:

I have run out of ways to put it. If Genesis 11 follows Genesis 10 and is
read just that way it fits the chain of events. The dispersion followed the
death of Noah not the incident at Babel. Because the commentators thought
all the entire world (Chinese, Australian, Amazons, etc) were present and
accounted for at Babylon, their languages must have commenced there. We, of
course, know better. If you choose to believe the writer(s) of Genesis had
no earthly clue what was going on that is your prerogative. Just stop
harranging me because I give him/them more credit than that.

If the Bible writer wanted to tell us there was a topic of conversation that
was all the rage in Babylon he couldn't have done it. The Hebrew language
is too limited. You have to know that was what was going on (I do, you
don't) and presume the writer had the good sense to be saying that instead
of something we all know is dead wrong. Is that a controversial position to
take? You'ed prefer to believe, apparently, ignorance stems from the writer
and not the translation. This was Umberto Cassuto's attitude. He was a
preeminent Hebrew authority. His Genesis Commentary is still the hallmark
to this day. If one particular verse is contradicted by another verse,
however, the problem lay with the writer, his translation was sacrosanct.

If you want to read a good book, and God foirbid you take any of your
valuable time reading mine, read Hilprecht's The Babylonian Expedition. I
cited his book so much I was afraid they were going to go after me for
copyright infringement. He did take over 500 pages to cover what he could
have said in 200-300 pages but still it is a great read and will answer some
of your questions.

If you just know one thing, George, that the Garden of Eden was irrigated,
by extrapolation you can figure out everything. If you had only one more
nugget to add to that it would be that the city of Enoch that Cain built
dates to 4200 BC and was located just north of the city of Eridu via a canal
that linked the two cities. Just those two little tidbits of information
are totally absent in every commentary and in every Genesis translation.
And how did I discover these tiny bits of information? I dug it out of
archaeological publications, something Hebrew translators didn't think of.
They thought they could sit in their own libraries and fathom it all out
translating in the blind. Turns out they, and you, were wrong.

As for me being "silent," that sounds out of character for me. Do you
remember what it was about?

Dick Fischer, GPA president

Genesis Proclaimed Association

www.genesisproclaimed.org