Re: [asa] A question on Genesis

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 13:54:00 EDT
I understand the language issue, aware that words like gandydancer, gaffer, "dime turn" [with a nod to the U-2 pilots!], and even "Jesus nut" rise within particular vocations or other work or social group contexts. But I was just struck that in vigorous concordist efforts such as yours (and I'm no expert at all in this area), you've really worked hard to bring a lot of cultural parallels into view, along with language interactions, and yet don't seem to make room for legend to have been swept into the texts of Scripture, though this particular explanation of language diversity quacks and waddles with all the appearance of legend rather than history. To expect the written capture of oral tradition - apparently from many voices - to result in texts that are completely sterile with respect to any elements of legend just seems very unlikely. And I don't recall having heard that word "legend" mentioned in any of these discussions, even though a legend interpretation of the tower of Babel story would not seem to sacrifice anything significant other than personal literalist perspective. [My point was still just the apparent absence of a legend perspective when discussing the tower of Babel.]

Regards

JimA [Friend of ASA]

Dick Fischer wrote:

Hi Jim:

It isn’t simply a matter of legends.  Some words and phrases can be difficult to decipher without an intimate knowledge of the background and situation.  By way of illustration here is a brief conversation between two men engaged in a particular occupation.  We’ll call them Joe and Pete.

Joe: “Say your viz.”

Pete. “We’re popeye.”

Joe: “We’re oranges sweet.  Where you at”?

Pete. “Angels twenty-two, how ‘bout you”?

Joe: “Base plus seven.”

Pete. “You feet wet”?

Joe: “Feet dry.”

Pete. “Starting turn, roll out three two four.”

Joe: “Roger.”

Pete. “Got a talley”?

Joe: “Talley.”

Pete. “Changing freaks.”

I imagine a lot of people would not catch even the situation surrounding this conversation, but a few probably would - certainly those astute fellows on this list.  If I disclosed these were two pilots, more people would make some connections.  If you knew these were two Air Force pilots conducting a mid-air refueling rendezvous that would be a big help.  “Viz” is short for visibility.  “Popeye” is in the clouds.  Twenty-two thousand feet is “angels twenty-two,” but sometimes we used a base altitude which was classified to keep the “Charlies” from knowing how high we were flying.  “Talley” comes from the English, “talley ho.”   Simple.  But only if you had been there actively involved in mid-air refueling would you be likely to know that “oranges sweet” meant clear visibility, and feet wet or dry meant over water or over land.

And that is exactly the point with Genesis translation.  Just converting Hebrew into English accurately will get you in the ball park in some cases.  That’s what most commentaries are able to do.  I read them all.  Some are better than others.  Speiser was well aware of the Near East connection and was an authority on ANE literature.  Delitzsch recognized the similarity between the Genesis patriarchs and the list of ten kings from Berossus, and so on.  But the most valuable connections didn’t come from Genesis commentaries, they came from archaeologist’s notes, reports and books, soil scientists, and anthropologists who spent time in Iraq and got their hands dirty.

Instead of reading Westermann and Von Rad, one needs to read Kramer, Crawford, Hallo, Parrot, Pritchard, Gowlett, Pettinato, Layard, Hilprecht, Barton, Synkellos, Postgate, Heidel, Clay, Barton, Langdon, Zimmern, Dalley, Jacobsen, Cottrell, Mallowan, Woolley, Sollberger, Poebel, and good old Archibald Sayce, to name a few.  If someone did that, maybe I wouldn’t catch so much flak.  (Oops, sorry, another old Air Force expression.)

Dick Fischer, GPA president

Genesis Proclaimed Association

www.genesisproclaimed.org