Re: [asa] Trees don't lie

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 09:51:48 EDT

Glenn -

Very quickly, & as far as I have anything to contribute winding this up for
now -

It's necessary distinguish between two things. (a) The basic dynamics of a
complex system which, to the extent we can model it mathematically, require
nonlinear equations, and (b) the analysis of some important data about the
system which may use various math approximations. Think of the difference
between Newton's laws and Kepler's. Many (though not all) nonlinear systems
display sensitivity to initial conditions so that we can't predict the
future state (i.e. the precise values of positions & velocities for
mechanical systems) far into the future. But we can analyze data using
various approximations and assumptions in order to estimate certain
important facts about the future bahavior of the system. The latter seems
to me to be what Hubbert did quite successfully.

(BTW, it's easy from the math at the site I gave to see why the peak occurs
at the point where half the initial reserve has been exhausted - in this
approximation of course.)

About the other systems (elections, MLB) I didn't say I "wanted" equations.
I said earlier that I don't think we can have a complete math description of
such things. But to the extent we do, or can use a math metaphor, they're
nonlinear. & there are knowledgeable people who can make predictions that
are not perfect but are pretty good statistically. They don't do that by
solving equations though. I agree with Plato that God is a mathematician
but he has other interests as well!

Shalom
George