Re: [asa] Trees don't lie

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 21:52:44 EDT

Dave, it took me a few minutes to find the data on the drought that caused
the sand hills of Nebraska--see, I am now connecting other disparate data.

"One particular culture, that of the Mill Creek people, seems to have been
profoundly affected, judging from the evidence of the archaeological record.
These people occupied a region near the present American corn belt living in
the centuries just before 1200 A. D. in a region of tall grass prairie
uplands with wooded valley terraces and valley floors, hunting deer and
growing corn. The Arctic expansion and associated rainfall changes produced
a long drought- probably because of westerly winds, more persistent than
before, crossing the Rocky Mountains and putting them into the 'rain
shadow.' The tall-grass prairies were replaced by short grass and most of
the forest disappeared; in the west, farming villages disappeared entirely,
and everywhere in the region the staple source of meat became bison as the
deer died out. The particular significance of these changes as Bryson
stresses, is that the drought persisted for 200 yr, so that the
archaeological and pollen records show unambiguously, that minor climatic
changes of the kind which have definitely occurred in the past millennium
are sufficient to bring 200 yr of drought in the corn belt of North America,
the region, the region which today produces the surplus of grain on which
many parts of the world depend for survival."~J. A. Gribbin and H. H. Lamb,
"Climatic Change in Historical Times," in J. A. Gribbin, editor, Climatic
Change, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1978), p. 74

"Dunefields of the Great Plains contain stratigraphic records of episodic
Holocene aeolian activity, potentially providing a valuable record of
climatic change. It has been difficult to establish unambiguous links
between activity at specific sites and regional palaeoclimate, however. Here
we demonstrate that widespread late-Holocene aeolian activity in the
Nebraska Sand Hills, the largest dunefield on the Great Plains of North
America, occurred during a period of hydrological drought. Aeolian sand
sheets are interbedded with peat that accumulated in interdunes throughout
much of the Holocene. The youngest of these sand sheets was deposited
between 950 and 650 cal. BP, about the same time as the most recent major
episode of aeolian activity at upland sites up to 120 km apart. Sand sheets
could only have advanced across the interdunes if the local groundwater flow
systems that maintain interdune wetlands were temporarily reduced or
eliminated by a reduction in recharge. Both reduced recharge and upland
aeolian activity are best explained by regional megadrought.
Joseph A. Mason et al, " Late-Holocene dune activity linked to hydrological
drought, Nebraska Sand Hills, USA The Holocene, Vol. 14, No. 2, 209-217
(2004)

So, now the demise of the Mill Creek people is associated with the movement
of the Nebraska Sand Hills. But it is also associated with the demise of
the Anasazi http://www.santafe.edu/~johnson/articles.anasazi.html

But, this is also the time when Greenland was thriving and the Norse Colony
was doing well. Why had the Norse come out and spread across the Atlantic
and down the Volga to the Black Sea? Because the world was warm (more
disparate facts).

"In central Norway the area of settlement, forest clearance and cultivation,
which appears to have been more or less static since early iron age times,
spread rather rapidly 100-200 m farther up the valleys and hillsides in the
course of about two centuries from around A. D. 800; it retreated as
decisively in the 14th century - partly owing to the Black Death, though the
higher level farms were left unoccupied for hundreds of years thereafter,
and in some areas further farms were abandoned before the advancing glaciers
as late as 1743."~H. H. Lamb, "The Early Medieval Warm Epoch and its
Sequel", Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 1, 1965, p. 16

Norway had too many people and they went raping and pillaging. If they
hadn't gone raping and pillaging, the McDonald clan would not have formed.
Sumerled , the grandfather of Donald, who was the founder of the clan
MacDonald (meaning sons of Donald), was half Norse.

And if the Norse hadn't gone a'pillaging, we wouldn't have the names we do
for our days, and France was nearly brought to her knees by the Norse who
burned Paris and almost sent it back to barbarism.

The Norse colonies in Greenland were destroyed by the sun exactly what it is
doing today--refusing to produce sunspots. While Galileo saw a few
sunspots, the plain fact is that the time from about 1300 to 1740 had almost
no sunspots. Only in the 1850s, I believe did Wolfe determine that there
was an 11 year cycle for the sun. That cycle didn't exist int he 1500s and
1600s and probably didn't exist in the 1200-1400 rage (you can see a double
dip in the Siberian tree ring width during this time (another connection of
disparate data) How do we know that there were no sunspots? From Beryllium
10 measurements. That isotope is made from cosmic rays (another disparate
fact) and when there are no sunspots, the suns magnetic field is weak and
cosmic ray intensity rises making more Be 10.. So, here is documentation for
the dying of the Greenland colonies due to the lack of sunspots.

"Climatic cooling characterized the subsequent period from 1200 to 1400.
Arctic sea ice expanded, clogging sailing routes between Iceland and
Greenland. This climatic change, together with social changes in Norway,
greatly hampered and finally prevented trade between Greenland and the
outside world. The combination of climatic deterioration and severance of
trade links, possibly coupled with attacks by Eskimos, led ultimately to the
extinction of the Norse settlements in Greenland. The final reference to
the colonies was made in 1410 by an Icelander who caught what may have been
the last ship from Greenland."~G. H. Denton and S. C. Porter,
"Neoglaciation", Scientific American, June 1970, p. 103.

"In 1492, Pope Alexander VI wrote of his anxiety over the situation in that
outpost of Christendom:
'The church of Garda is situated at the ends of the Earth in Greenland, and
the people dwelling there are accustomed to live on dried fish and milk for
lack of bread, wine and oil. . . shipping to that country is very infrequent
because of the extensive freezing of the waters - no ship having put in to
shore, it is believed, for eighty years - or, if voyages happened to be
made, it could have been, it is thought, only in the month of August. . .
and it is also said that no bishop or priest has been in residence for
eighty years or thereabouts.'"~Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Greenland , (London:
George Harpap Publisher, 1943), cited by H. H. Lamb, Climate, History and
the Modern World, (New York: Methuen, 1982), p. 179.

And this brings us to another disparate fact. the number of spotless days in
the transition from sunspot cycle 23 to sunspot cycle 24. As of now, this
sunspot cycle has had more spotless days than just about any sunspot cycle
back to cycle 10.
http://users.telenet.be/j.janssens/Spotless/Spotless.html#Monthly

This page was updated in early January. There have been more than 60 more
spotless days on the sun since then. Which then brings in another disparate
fact.

"Interestingly, the Sun's solar cycle has been in the phase
locked mode for the last 105 yr (1900-2005) and the
indications are that it is about to suffer another phase catastrophe
in the later part of cycle 24 (i.e. the solar cycle
that will peak in ?2011-2012). If this is the case, then
we should expect that in the two decades following the
phase catastrophe, the world's mean temperature should
be noticeably cooler i.e. the cooling should start in the late
2010s. This claim is based on the precedent that there were
noticeable decreases in the world's mean temperature following
the last two phase catastrophes. The cool period
know as the Dalton Minimum (1800-1820) that followed
the phase catastrophe in the early 1790s and a similar cool
period called the Victorian Minimum (1880-1900) that
followed the phase catastrophe in the late 1870s." I. R. G. WilsonA,, B. D.
Carter, and I. A. Waite, "Does a Spin-Orbit Coupling Between the Sun and the
Jovian
Planets Govern the Solar Cycle?," Publications of the Astronomical Society
of Australia, 2008, 25, 85-93, p. 93

Now, when the sun doesn't produce sunspots, it outputs less energy. Models
I personally have run say that the earth gets colder each year for 6 years
if you shut off the sunspots.

The sun has not been producing sunspots since 2006.

"Actually, we're at the beginning of the minimum. February 2006 was the
first month in almost ten years with mostly no sunspots. For 21 of
February's 28 days, the sun was blank. Hathaway expects this situation to
continue for the rest of 2006.
"http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/06mar_solarminimum.html

We are now up to about 480+ days without sunspots in the transition from
solar cycle 23 to solar cycle 24.
http://users.telenet.be/j.janssens/Spotless/Spotlessyears.png (hint: add
2007 and 2008) and know that there are 60+ spotless days in Jan Feb and
March so far this year.

And another disparate fact. This is why decades old cold records are being
broken AROUND THE WORLD (and every time I point this out, the AGW advocates
say it is merely anecdotal). But then the lack of sunspots is not
anecdotal, it is systematic.
see
http://www.iceagenow.com/Record_Lows_2008.htm

http://www.iceagenow.com/Record_Lows_2009.htm

Yet all the AGW beleivers continue to believe their religion that the world
is heating up. I have posted on my blog a picture, from NOAA's climat at a
glance site which shows that the oceans are cooling since 2003. I can also
point out that Greenland is cooling during that time frame as well. Of
course, no one actually cares about the evidence, they prefer, to find some
way to keep believing what 'everyone' knows--that you can't connect
disparate fact and the earth is supposedly still warming. Note that even
NOAA says that the world is in a cooling trend. Look at the individual bars,
and the fact that each subsequent bar gets smaller as time goes by since
2003, meaning that the world is coolling--yet we have more CO2. I am sure
that some AGW believers will, no doubt, claim that CO2 is causing the
cooling. Such lunacy and faith.
and

Everything has connections. Everything has feedbacks. Every disparate fact
and event is connected to everything else