Re: [asa] The Daily Me

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 21:36:43 EDT
Preston - You bring up a good point, "We already had over 2000 denominations in this country even before the internet."
I have serious questions in this regard.
What is wrong with this picture?
    OK, that was probably an easy one. [Wasn't it?]
But how did we come to tolerate/accommodate this?
And what can possibly and realistically be done - under the banner we fly - to make it otherwise, short of the temporary expedient of another interfaith war?
Or should we just not register concern about such divisiveness in the community that bears the name of Christ, and the message it conveys to others outside the community?
[Or is this just too far off topic?]

JimA [Friend of ASA]

Preston Garrison wrote:
Randy,

You should definitely read the book called "The Big Switch: Rewiring the World, from Edison to Google" by Nicholas Carr.
Here's the Amazon link:
<http://www.amazon.com/Big-Switch-Rewiring-Edison-Google/dp/0393333949/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237639992&sr=8-1>http://www.amazon.com/Big-Switch-Rewiring-Edison-Google/dp/0393333949/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237639992&sr=8-1

The book is about the change landscape of the web, how computing is becoming a utility that is done more and more on the cloud computer or world wide computer (as opposed to using your personal computer software, etc.). He talks a lot about how the transhumanists promote these changes as utopian (no single authority, information freely available to everyone), but how in fact people subconsciously self-select their information. The result is greater segregation and less tolerance and understanding of opposing viewpoints, etc.

It's scary, really. I think this explains why the Christian theological, apologetic, and politcal landscape and community is becoming more divided rather than unified.

The book is about technology rather than science, per se. However, I think it would be worth discussing this list.

Doug

Doug,

As much as I usually like your comments here, I have to object a bit. We already had over 2000 denominations in this country even before the internet. How much more fragmented could we really get, on the one hand?

On the other hand, doesn't the Babel story tell us that bigness and unity is what we should fear, if we fear anything? (Personally I've pretty much had it with fear - I stood at a plate glass window 40 stories up the other day and I felt that twinge of natural fear that you feel when you are 400 feet high with nothing under you. I decided to stand there and look down until it went away - after a few minutes, it did. Then I wished I had a key to the roof and my old hang glider.)

If the Christians got united, wouldn't they likely unite around some strange attractor, some charismatic (in the general, not theological sense) person who would lead them on some weird crusade?

Unless of course the one who united them was Jesus. But you get that kind of unity by praying for it and going about doing what you're led to do. A little persecution would go a long way in inducing it, but I'm not crazy enough to ask for that.

Preston