Re: [asa] The Daily Me

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 10:27:51 EDT

Just posted on RealClimate:

Ethical Technology

Academics at Britain’s first conference on the psychology of climate
change argued that the greatest obstacles to action are not technical,
economic or political—they are the denial strategies that we adopt to
protect ourselves from unwelcome information.

Is there a “psychology of climate change”? According to this article
from The Guardian, there is.

Two points that leapt out at me from the linked article:

Dr Myanna Lahsen, a cultural anthropologist at the University of
Colorado, has speci alised (word split because of spam blocker) in
understanding how professional scientists, some of them with highly
respected careers, turn climate sceptic. She found the largest common
factor was a shared sense that they had personally lost prestige and
authority as the result of campaigns by liberals and
environmentalists.

One academic study of 192 sceptic books and reports found that 92%
were directly associated with right wing free market think tanks. It
concluded that the denial of climate change had been deliberately
constructed “as a tactic of an elite-driven counter-movement designed
to combat environmentalism”.

That 92% number is pretty high. It seems to support your thesis.

jb