Re: [asa] The Daily Me

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 10:20:18 EDT

On 3/21/09, wjp <wjp@swcp.com> wrote:
> I don't think we needed a survey to confirm this.
>
> What would be the point of associating with those of "different" opinions:
> 1) to try to show them wrong
> 2) to just hear what the other sides say
> 3) to test our own beliefs
> 4) to clarify our own position
> 5) to just be a pain in the neck
> 6) to find out what the other sides are planning
>
> What would be the point of associating with those of "similar" opinions:
> 1) to confirm our own beliefs
> 2) to make fun of other sides
> 3) to sharpen our own opinions
> 4) to learn about new slants

Good post, Bill. It sharpens what I have always felt strongly -- that
I MUST follow the path of listening to those of different opinions
(because of points 3 and 4 in the first group above). Rule #1 of
science -- Examine ALL the evidence. Rule #2 -- try hard to faslify
your own ideas -- for if you don't, someone else surely will.

jb (oh yeah -- rule #3 -- ascribe nothing to the gods.)