Re: [asa] What is a sociopath?

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 11:19:17 EDT

 From a basic human development course I remember learning about
attachment parenting and how recent studies (recent to the last two
decades) have apparently shown that dis-attached infants are in
increased danger of developing sociopathic tendencies. It wasn't
decisive that there is NO brain chemistry involved, but it did seem
convincing that there is a substantial environmental component in the
first three years of a child's life. In extreme form dis-attached
infants grow up (even under the most loving of later adopted parents) to
be morally knowledgeable (for the purpose of manipulation) but without
effective empathy or conscience. And if they have suffered
dis-attachment as infants there is apparently very little hope for
remedying this short of controversial therapies. The cake has already
been baked without the ingredient. At least this is one of the things I
got out of a freshman-level human development course. Maybe a few real
experts can step in now...

--Merv