Re: [asa] The Daily Me

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 10:14:09 EDT

On 3/21/09, Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net> wrote:
> I hope this link will work:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/opinion/19kristof.html?_r=1&scp=6&sq=march+19+2009&st=nyt
> It's an editorial by Nicholas Kristof in the March 19 NYTimes called The
> Daily Me.

I think it was Roger Bacon who wrote "Man believes what he wants to believe."

William Safire had an article on "truthieness" about a month or two
back -- its definition is "believing something is true because you
want it to be true." Apparently the word has entered the dictionary.

The point about an internet blog is well taken. I enjoy and admire
RealClimate.org a lot and find it useful. But it is evident that
anyone skeptical of the IPCC's primary thesis is quickly dismissed.
Usually with good cause, I add, but the name calling is discouraging.
To his credit, the site manager, gavin, tries to keep it down. Not
always even-handedly.

jb