[asa] What is a sociopath?

From: Preston Garrison <pngarrison@att.net>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 00:59:29 EDT

All,

Those of us who have expertise in biology and genetics and theology
(not me) have been told that we are messing around in psychology and
sociology and we don't know anything about these things. I'm curious
what those who study these things think about what we were all told
about in Intro to Psych and some people think they have encountered,
the sociopath.

Is there such a thing? If so, what is its basis? My impression, and
what a relative told me about a cousin of his, was that he seemed to
understand morality very well, well enough to use it against you, but
he had no sense that it had any hold on him.

In genetics, mutations that have well defined effects are very
informative. I'm not suggesting that there is a genetic mutation for
being a sociopath - I have no idea whether anyone has ever done kin
studies or identical twin studies, but I wonder what the experts in
this area think?

It seems that if the phenomenon really exists, it might be very
informative to study.

Preston