Re: [asa] Trees don't lie

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 06:35:17 EDT

Thanks for the link, Burgy. I don't know that journal or its reputation. I
gave the paper a very quick scan and it seems they are saying that the
greenhouse effect doesn't exist because it violates some thermodynamic
principle. I didn't follow their reasoning so I don't know if and why it is
wrong and haven't found the realclimatea.org response. But it does seem
analogous to the argument that evolution couldn't have happened because it
violates the second law of thermodynamics. It's easy to be misled by
thermodynamics. If these guys are right, then it seems we would have trouble
explaining the temperature difference between Venus and Mars. And isn't the
greenhouse effect the very basis of Glenn Morton's calculation that a vapor
canopy would lead to the earth's temperature being too hot for life?
It just doesn't pass the sniff test for me. You're right that it "looks"
authoritative but it certainly doesn't sound authoritative or sensible.
Maybe somebody else figured out their reasoning but I don't have time.

Randy