Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Michael McCray <momcmd3@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 18:41:30 EDT

President Obama's speech seems to have sparked a reaction here. Although the
speech seems specifically about Bush's ideology concerning ESC. It appears
to me to have undertones of other ideologies that Bush seemed to cling to
even in the face of evidence to the contrary. Both scientific and economic.
I speak of Bush's denial of global warming and his support of a free market
ideology largely without regulations. I hope that Obama has ideals and not
just ideas. I think that he has ideals and is also practical. I hope that he
can find practical solutions that also maintain his, our ideals.

There are some depictions here that I would object to. Physicians in general
and IVF physicians are not unregulated. And IVF should not be pictured as an
industry.

George has suggested that in order to take a proper stand on the question of
ESC and other questions of early human life, it is first necessary to answer
the question, "When does a person become a person?" I agree. But as George
and anyone else who has been paying attention knows, this is a difficult
question to answer. There are many pieces that may be brought to bear upon
this question. Science cannot answer it completely and I do not think that
theology has answered the question completely in light of the new science.
Hence the rub.

I would like to offer an opinion that takes into account a universal view
[ideal] and a worldview [what is in our world] in the hope of maintaining
the ideal while offering a practical approach to our problem.

George I think that the personality- person conundrum needs to be gone into
if only briefly. We think of persons as being composed of flesh and blood.
But when the flesh and blood dies, what continues, the personality. So it is
the personality that makes us a person.

The personality is a gift of the Father and is unique in all the universe.
No two persons receive exactly the same personality. Personality is bestowed
by the Father at the time of a "viable conception." Having the power of
complete foreknowledge He would know what constitutes a viable conception.
Fertilization within a Petri dish would not constitute a viable conception
scientifically or legally nor do I think the Father would consider it so.

 Once the embryos are implanted in the mother they may become viable.
Embryos that are not implanted in a female have no chance of becoming
viable. Again, the Father having perfect foreknowledge would not bestow
personality upon an embryo that has no chance for viability. They are only
potential people if they are implanted; otherwise they are only so much
medical waste.

Now let us approach why and how this waste is generated. There are couples
who wish to but are unable to conceive normally. They will typically seek
medical help and if unable to conceive otherwise will find themselves in the
care of a fertility expert. After a thorough evaluation that expert will
delineate the medical options for that couple. Typically the expert will
choose the least complex and expensive option first and IFV would only be
considered near the end of the options. IVF utilizing donor ovum and or
sperm is also an option.

In the normal female hormones initiate follicular development of many
follicles but only one, occasionally more, are released at ovulation. In IVF
the ovaries are artificially stimulated by hormones so that a large number
of follicles all mature at one time. The ova thus produced are harvested
utilizing an endoscopic procedure. I understand that this procedure
typically produces eight to ten ova. The ova are then mixed with sperm and
fertilization is allowed to take place. The fertilized ova are allowed to
develop somewhat and because of typical losses more than one embryo;
typically four are injected into the mother's uterus.

The waste is a result of medicines inabilities. The inability to produce
only those ripe ova necessary for subsequent implantation and the inability
to determine which federalized ova will produce a viable pregnancy when
implanted. I am sure that Doctors and other researchers are working on these
problems.

For now we produce embryos that have zero chance of becoming persons in the
medical, legal sense. And as I've said, I do not think that the Father has
recognized these embryos as persons. Rather than throw them out, since they
appear to have some utility to us why not use them. We were not given
curiosity and the ability to do science for nothing. God intended us to
utilize our abilities while decreasing our inabilities.

The question arises, "Does the Father bestow personality on those "viable
conceptions" that will later be miscarried, undergo therapeutic abortions,
be born dead or die as a newborn?" I do not know.

I am setting here now wondering if I should send this. I'll miss David.

Michael McCray