[asa] ASA's historical views

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 14:35:58 EDT

In light of some recent posts about what ASA members tend to believe or not, I would remind readers of Claude Stipe's article at
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1977/JASA3-77Stipe.html
He was ASA president at the time, 1977. Note his concluding sentence:

"I personally trust that we will continue to investigate all areas of the relationship of science to the Scriptures, and that we will never be guilty of judging a fellow Christian's commitment to Christ by that person's position on any issue about which Christians honestly disagree."

Earlier in the article he quotes former journal editor Harold Hartzler as saying that ASA had not taken a position on a scientific theory. What then does it mean for ASA to have a commitment to integrity in science? I would suggest that integrity in science means fairly and accurately stating what the current scientific understanding is in any given field. Endorsing it or rejecting it is not our role as an organization. That understanding may change over time and will certainly be refined and become more detailed. Rather, we seek a proper characterization of what that understanding is and provide a forum for discussion of its implications to the intersection with Christian faith as well as appropriate scientific challenges to that understanding.

Randy