Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Jack <drsyme@verizon.net>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 08:18:06 EDT
One of my biggest disagreements with the freedom of choice group, is that they want to treat a woman's right to abortion simply as a choice about her right to determine what happens to her body.  It is clearly not that simple.  There is another entity involved.

There is also a relationship here.  A unique, wonderful, HUMAN relationship between mother and child (for lack of a better term).  I think this creates a very sharp line between in vitro embryos, and an implanted embryo.  I really have no trouble considering this entity a person at this point, because it is involved in this relationship.  This perspective also is less arbitrary than any functional definition, and avoids any discrimination against anyone.  (Until the point that clones can be gestated without a human uterus, something I doubt will ever happen.  I am willing to cross that bridge when we get to it.)

However, it is a different question entirely to ask what point can the state intervene to protect the interest of its weaker citizens.  I do not think that implantation alone gives the embryo that level of protection, and maybe some functional definition is needed for that.  But the implantation view is more conservative, well defined, and occurrs much earlier than neural development, yet still avoids the stem cell/IVF problems as I have stated before.