Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 21:20:53 EDT

I indeed said "More is involved than science" - more even than the social sciences. & if you were interested in serious discussion & not just looking for opportunities to proclaim the importance of your discipline you would have thought that perhaps I really meant that & interpreted my brief recent post accordingly.

"Rationality begins with neural activity" was too brief a statement - a hazard of quick internet exchanges that you seem unaware of. I expressed myself more fully in a post yesterday in which I said, inter alia, " In setting the very beginning of brain development as the decisive event I am erring, if at all, on the conservative side." I.e., rationality does not begin before neural development starts. It may be (& I would say probably is) a good deal later. In choosing this earliest possibility I am observing the precautionary principle.

Then I have said that rationality, not personhood, begins then. While I think rationality is a necessary component of personhood, I have not said, nor do I think, that the 2 are equivalent. Thus in no way have I presented a reductionist view of personhood - unless you think that a claim that brains are a necessary, though not sufficient, condition for human rationality is reductionist. If that's your view then say so clearly.

& then Don made a good point in his brief response. Of course there are child psychologists but I've never heard of an embryo psychologist.

Shalom
George