Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 14:57:55 EDT

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Dehler, Bernie
<bernie.dehler@intel.com> wrote:
> Since "idiots" refers to people, is that saying computers are like people? ;-)

Some people have actually suggested that stupidity rather than
intelligence is the human feature hard to match with computers.

Here's an example of a Turing test that might illustrate that point.

http://www.twinkiesproject.com/

Part of the problem is defining intelligence. Computers are great at
performing lots of calculations but are no good at deciding whether
the calculations are meaningful (unlike in the current version of the
Joshua's Long Day urban legend, where the computer somehow notices
something is wrong.)

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections