Re: [asa] Adios, ASA List

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 14:25:04 EDT

David O. wrote:
"the ASA, particularly as characterized by this list, is hobbled by some kind of myopia."

What kind of myopia, if any, could ASA *possibly* be hobbled by?

It might be an excellent exercise in self-reflection for someone out there (e.g. an ASA regular or insighful on-looker) to grapple with what David might mean in saying this, instead of simply dismissing it and carrying on discussion in a form of 'collective' myopia, if such a thing might indeed exist.

Now don't get all defensive (and offended) out there folks and roll your eyes at his suggestion! Why not take it seriously, since David has been contributing to this list for a couple of years faithfully, has demonstrated exceptional spiritual perception to all of us, and knows some of the features of ASA-list discourse rather well? I share his frustration with being belittled and occasionally ridiculed (most recently by Allen Harvey in this very thread!), etc.

~~
Thanks for all of your inspiring, critical, discerning, sometimes conservative, constantly even-handed (even when I made a crack about your use of the term 'evangelical' to describe ASA's orientation not long ago), attempts, David, to engage natural science discourse with your legal studies knowledge and the tradition in which it participates...and for many other things related to Christianity! You have been a role model of forum communication for me and I am sad that your words won't be gracing my screen so regularly.

Fare thee well, David!

Gregory

p.s. the bolding below is not David's, but mine; the thought is his and it is a shared one...