Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 13:59:00 EDT

Hey Guys,

May I make an observation? If one postulates (or believes) that computers
can achieve conciousness, then isn't this a belief that mind and pattren
recognition is possible in the natural realm? Not supernatural at all?

I just wanted to point out that there seems to be a dichotomy in thoughts
here. Some want to say that pattern recognizers that recognize design are
not part of nature and there is no mathematical basis for anything in this
universe to do that processing - therefore the human recognizer is
supernatural.

The opposite view is the phenomena is possible in nature.

And computer awareness, intelligence, etc etc, must by definition be
natural. Unless one speculates there is a "soul in the machine"...hahahaha.
I'm personally not going to entertain the notion of supernatural computers.

Dave C