Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Jack <drsyme@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 13:55:46 EDT
According to Niedermeyer one of the standard EEG texts, the earliest EEG recordings were performed by Bergstrom, in data published in 1969.  He recorded the EEG in aborted fetuses, immediately after separation from the maternal circulation.  He recorded EEG activity in the hippocampus and brain stem as early as 17 weeks conceptional age.  Bergstrom speculates that there is pontine EEG activity as early as 10 weeks conceptional age.

One word about conceptional and gestational age.  I have seen this stated incorrectly on pro life websites.  Gestational age is defined as the age from the first day of the last menstrual period.  Conception actually ocurrs at some time (two weeks after this.)   Conceptional age is not the actual age from conception, but is defined as the gestational age, plus the age after birth.  So if a child was born March 4, and is now 2 weeks old.  And the child was born at 40 weeks gestation, the childs conceptional age is actually 42 weeks.  This is important because the brain changes a lot (as does the EEG) during fetal development, and continues after birth.

For the record, if I had to choose I would pick implantation as the point to draw the line.  A fertilized embryo frozen in a test tube does not have the potential to be a person, unless it is attached to a mother, so using a form of the potentiality argument I think that is one of the less arbitrary places to choose.   The role of the mother is an absolute necessity to becoming a person, (obviously).