Re: [asa] on miracles

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 12:54:41 EDT
David (and Don)

I too don't think much of such unlikelihood probability calculations because we really don't have much of a handhold on the real dynamics of the universe.. On the other hand, there are specific and universally applicable interactive influences ("laws" of physics and such) whose implications we cannot know fully, but which we DO know (via chaos and complexity studies) can have profound influences in nuancing the courses of evolutionary developments. Then too, there is that matter of astronomers continually upping there estimate of potentially habitable planets, based only on a presumption of an ambiance for live forms as we know them.

There is an inclination to understand the path of "evolutionary" development to be a trajectory to a particular "us", even as particular persons - thinking very specific in form and function, ...and even name(?) [e.g., a particular Don Winterstein]. That might be accomplished by embodying in creation some sort of computer program that leads very specifically to our kind and us as individuals. I guess this sort of underlying mapped specificity is certainly possible with the God of our understanding, but that does not seem to be quite how the evolutionary development paradigm works. Nor does it seem consonant with the uncertainties and convolutions observed in the actual functioning of Creation. In these workings, the idea of probability is inverted to become opportunity. And in my view, the immensity of the universe ensures BIG opportunity, as well as diversity.

But the front loading of my understanding functions differently than following an AAA TripTik to modern humans as we know them, and me in particular. Instead, one of the things Creation does is to create the conditions such that in some (make that "many" - or "unimaginably many") times and places and circumstances, there are occurrences of localized natural concentrations of increasing organization, structure, or complexity. This is not conforming to a specific map detail, but IS developing within the constraints and influences and (dare I say) potentialities of those "rules" and "boundary conditions" embodied in and characterizing the substance and functioning of our universe. That leaves the door very widely open as to exactly what manner of sentient (assuming that is a primary divine interest) form and functioning develops to meet the divine intent(s?) in Creation. Even on Earth, we have some interesting variations - consider the octopus with its intelligence and problem solving ability, but possessing a widely distributed "brain" that is pretty different from our own.

This, of course, messes a bit with our ego, and our sense of comprising the ultimate and unique objective of God's creative purpose in Creation. But I've grown less uncomfortable with that possibility as my awe of the elegance and integral creativity of Creation continues to grow, and noting that we are located at some distance from the center of the universe!

I'm not arguing the superiority of this understanding, just (I hope) clarifying a bit about this particular view of front loading, and the somewhat non-specific nature of trajectories arising from it.

Regards - JimA [Friend of ASA]

Don Winterstein wrote:
David writes: "...It takes  a universe of 10^80 particles with the type of tuning the universe has in order to get a reasonable probability that there would be even one habitable earth like planet."

I don't know where you're coming from with this.  We know little about planets outside our solar system.  Given the very large numbers of stars and galaxies I'd guess there's a good chance the number of Earth-like planets in the universe is large.

"So the challenge is to show that front-loading is congruent with God pre-planning a path to us as individual outcomes.  I don't understand how that works in a front-loaded universe."

Me neither.  But I'd be comfortable with a loose interpretation of "pre-planning" if I could get comfortable with front loading to begin with.

Don