Re: [asa] Adios, ASA List

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 12:17:25 EDT

This is a list devoted to discussion of issues related to relationships between science and Christian faith. While questions about civil liberties may come into the discussion, they are not supposed to be primary. Questions about ESCR are ones which - at least for Christians - involve both Christian faith and science, & political decisions about the matter should be informed by both. It's hard for me to see how there are any Bill of Rights questions about such research that could be discussed intelligently here without those components.

I respect & have appreciated many of David's contributions to the list. On this issue, however, he seemed intent on picturing those (or at least some of those) who disagreed with him as "biological reductionists" who thought that only science should matter in the ESCR debate. This was quite wrong - as far as I could tell, everyone who weighed in here thought that more was involved than science. Furthermore, David himself presented what was in effect (whether or not it was in intention) as a kind of theological reductionism: In the last analysis scientific knowledge about embryological development simply couldn't make any difference in a decision about the appropriateness of ESCR. I'm sorry to see him leave but at the same time I wish he'd been more open to considering his theological presuppositions in the light of scientific evidence.

Shalom
George