Re: [asa] Adios, ASA List

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 11:51:56 EDT

On 3/17/09, David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find myself wishing the folks on the ASA list would champion the Bill of
> Rights more often. Or the principles thereof, or the spirit thereof.
> Instead what I've seen is "lets find the right answer" followed by "lets
> bash everybody who doesn't have the right answer".

FWIW, David and David -- I don't perceive on this list what you both
(apparently) see. Nor do I see "bashiing."

I do see a lot of "let's agree to disagree" comments. Of course, I
don't read everything. For example, the historicity of early Genesis
is just not interesting (to me). I appreciate (and admire) Dick
Fischers research in that area, but I have "no dog in that hunt"
myself.

"Champion the bill of rights?" I think everyone here (a couple of
trolls possibly excepted -- you know who you are -- does that. I
certainly do. That does not inhibit me from calling a silly idea a
silly idea.

On the gut issue here -- "personhood, or a soul, at conception" is NOT
a silly idea. I happen to think it is very unlikely to be true, and
even more unlikely that those holding to it or those who don't will
ever come to a resolution of the issue.

That having been said, we can "agree to disagree" on the application
of the precautionary principle. And do so with civility.

blessings

Burgy