Re: [asa] Adios, ASA List

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 11:18:54 EDT

Gordon,

Thank you. I totally agree.
I find myself wishing the folks on the ASA list would champion the Bill of
Rights more often. Or the principles thereof, or the spirit thereof.
Instead what I've seen is "lets find the right answer" followed by "lets
bash everybody who doesn't have the right answer".
David Opderbeck gave me hope that he was at least one person who
recognized that preserving civil liberties and freedom of thought is more
important than arriving at any sort of correct theological viewpoint. I
think a civil libertarian would oppose shoving a theological viewpoint down
the throats of the masses. I see an attitude of intolerance on the list. I
felt David Opderbeck worked against that, and was refreshing. The ASA as
an organization must promote tolerance.

David Clounch