Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 10:04:48 EDT

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Schwarzwald wrote:
I haven't looked at Ted Peters' piece. But what is more important than
getting a particular perspective completely correct, is the laying out of
various (hopefully exhaustive) paradigms. It is useful, of course, in
such an explication to offer paradigmatic examples. If in those examples
the paradigm has been badly misconstrued, perhaps the author doesn't
understand the paradigm, or the group used is too diverse to be enlisted.
As you say, picking Buddhism would seem like a poor choice, something like
picking Christianity. It's too diverse. Better to pick a sect or perhaps
better a particular author, whose views are made explicit.

bill powers