Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 09:34:55 EDT

Heya Chuck,

I'm not a professional philosopher, but one glance at that summary and I
can't help but recoil. Lumping Aquinas in the substance dualist category, as
if all dualists are pretty much the same thing, is a tremendous mistake.
Buddhism is oversimplified, and I can only imagine how many buddhists would
react to being considered atheist materialists - the truth is that just what
the "self" is happens to be one of (many) things debated amongst various
buddhist schools.

I appreciate someone attempting to explain the various schools of thought,
but there comes a point where watering down explanations to make them easier
to understand does more harm than good. At least for me, this paper zooms
right past that point.