Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 04:46:14 EDT

I'm pretty sure C. S. Lewis was aware of the great scientific discovery that
is 'drinking booze has a noticeable effect on subjective experience and
reasoning.' More often, the scientifically inclined just don't know enough
philosophy on the point.

Moreover, the idea that dualists of all varieties (or even most) don't see
the brain as necessary for many/most mental operations doesn't ring true.
Hylemorphic dualists would emphatically disagree. As would, I believe, very
many dualists of cartesian, property, emergentist, and other varieties. A
functioning brain could be a necessary but not sufficient requirement for
thought, and 'the classical physical can do it all!' position is fraught
with problems, some of which make the "but what about alcohol?" objection
pale in comparison.