RE: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Preston Garrison <pngarrison@att.net>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 00:43:45 EDT

>""matter cannot think.""
>
>It may depend on your definition of "think." Can computers "think?"
>They do make decisions. They can even "appear" to be sentient. It
>may be possible to have a conversation with a computer (over the
>internet) and not even realize it is not a real person.
>
>...Bernie
>
>'m articulating this well...)

There's a flip side to this. Read Dilbert today. Dilbert bemoans the
fact that his boss keeps failing the Turing test. When our reason
goes bad, do we cease to be human? Is God taking a coffee break? :)

Does Moorad think (by whatever mechanism) that the function of the
brain is not necessary for reason? Then why do we get more and more
confused as the alcohol concentration in the brain increases? I love
C.S. Lewis, but I think he just didn't know enough science on the
point.

Preston