Re: [asa] Adios, ASA List

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 22:53:33 EDT

I will miss your contributions, David. My views are usually closer to
yours than to those of many others on this list. I wish we had a diversity
on this list that is more typical of the ASA in general. I don't think
that this list represents a typical cross section of ASA membership, and
when someone who thinks he represents a minority view on the list leaves,
the imbalance becomes worse.

Concerning my impressions of the general ASA membership, I think that
there are many who are not passionate about the origins issue and have
other scientific interests that relate to their faith. It also appears
that there are a number of participants on this list who are not members
of the ASA. A nonmember who joins the list may think that he or she is the
only outsider on the list and judges the ASA by what is said on the list.
I wonder how many might be discouraged from joining because of this
seeming lack of diversity.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)