Re: Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Jack <drsyme@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 12:52:10 EDT
Wow a touchy subject.

A few points:

First to David Clounch, even though I dont agree with them, there are plenty of Christian philosophers who are comfortable with the idea that there is no need for a soul for Christianity to be coherent.  So getting rid of the concept of a soul is not going to kill Christianity.  However, any conception of a soul is by definition not scientific so we are going to have to resort to scientific and philosphophical conceptions to have a dialog in this area.  Concepts such as personhood, what it means to be a human being, etc.

Second I just wanted to make one comment about David Operdeck's overall point.  I dont have any problem with him wanting to keep the line drawn at conception, that is conservative but I am not sure that there is any other place to CLEARLY draw a line, although I am not as conservative as him on this subject and certainly think there is room for discussion.  However, I dont think it is fair or possible to put the burden of proof on the researchers as he pointed out in one post.    This question is one that we have to grapple with as a society, and it involves scientific, legal, philosophical, and political aspects.

Finally, I think stem cell research is really just a small part of this question.  There are hundreds of thousands of frozen embryos in the freezers of this countries IVF clinics, the vast majority of which are going to be discarded.  Why is there not a discussion ongoing about this problem?