[asa] Energy futures

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 10:07:04 EDT

I just posted on my website an article I wrote for the Rico Bugle on
what the energy picture will look like in 2100. It is at

www.burgy.50megs.c0m/what.htm

I am not altogether pleased with the article; I think I may be
discounting nuclear energy too far.

Friedman has a good piece in today's NYT on the prospects for fusion energy at

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/opinion/15friedman.html?th&emc=th

What I understand about nuclear plants is that they come in four flavores:

1, Fusion Light nuclear (present day). Seasoned technology. Uses too
much uranium to suffice for the long haul.

2. Fusion Fast neutron (still under development). Solves the "running
out of uranium" problem.

3. Fusion Thorium. (a possibility but needs a lot of development).
Also solves the uranium problem.

4. Fusion. (always 20 years away). Friedman thinks there is enough of
a possibility for this one to pursue it with more funding.

Solutions 2, 3 and 4 have the capability of "solving" the world's
energy problems eventually.

That's my understanding to date. Comments appreciated.

jb

--
Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com