[asa] Adios, ASA List

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 08:56:27 EDT

The recent discussion on this list about embryonic stem cell research has
finally pushed me over the edge. I'm tired of being belittled, ridiculed,
subjected to ad hominems, etc. every time I express an opinion that bears
even a whiff of a "conservative" or "traditional" approach to a Christian
worldview. I'm exhausted of having to defend the position that the Bible
really does communicate truth about human history and the human condition in
some meaningful sense. I'm sick of the culture of suspicion and scoffing
that runs through our discourse. I need to break from the anger, arrogance,
and self-indulgence of the flame wars that characterize this space.

In the past, I've defended the ASA and this email list against attacks by
various ID folks and others. I still don't think that all of the criticisms
that have been levied against the ASA by those folks are fair. However, I
think they are right that the ASA, particularly as characterized by this
list, is hobbled by some kind of myopia. Yes, I know this list isn't
representative of the ASA in an absolute sense, but it's an ASA-sponsored
public discussion space, which is often a travesty. I've wasted too much
time on it, and it's become spiritually not only unproductive, but a
liability. Via con Dios.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School
Director, Gibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology