Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 01:13:47 EDT

Well, I offer a solution, but I can tell from what you've written that you're not going to accept it. As I implied in my post (below), I believe a human person with a soul is physically much more complex than an early-stage embryo. In fact, I believe in order to be a person the body must have at least a rudimentary brain. This belief derives from analyses of my own spiritual experiences over at least 40 years. The results of these analyses, of course, may be useless for others.

The solution then is, for example, that abortions should be allowed at early stages in cases where carrying to term would likely result in severe trauma to the mother. Also, discarding extra embryos from, say, IVF attempts should not be cause for deep soul-searching.

I consider persons sacred, but not life. We all agree that defining a boundary between sub-person and person will be forever beyond our capabilities, but I believe we can come up with reasonable guidelines.

Don