Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Stephen Matheson <smatheso@calvin.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 21:25:09 EDT

David, first of all I'm uncomfortable with the suggestion that the asserted "impossibility" of identifying when personhood begins is enough to fully empower the precautionary principle. Uncertainty regarding the beginning point does not entail uncertainty throughout the entire lifespan of a cell or embryo. For example, we may be uncertain of the time at which a human becomes "conscious" by some definition (and this would apply to any definition that I know of), but we could simultaneously identify with confidence certain stages at which the human is and is not conscious. It simply does not follow that uncertainty regarding beginnings means uncertainty in toto. Perhaps I misunderstand you, but it looks to me that the agreed-upon uncertainty is being used inappropriately here.

This is especially important since you have linked your preferences to very basic claims of the faith. I hope you'll agree that your threefold defense of your own position, which includes Jesus' summation of all the law and prophets, is meaningless outside of the *a priori* definition of the subjects of those imperatives. It seems to me that the discussion here is not about whether Christians ought to love others, or even about how to love others. It's about whether very early human embryos (but not ova or cultured pluripotent cells) are properly the subject of such imperatives. Can we agree that perhaps even nasty old Steve Matheson has read the gospels? Do you mean to suggest that someone who thinks a zygote is a whole lot different from a fetus is someone who might hesitate to affirm the Golden Rule? This is EXACTLY why the discussion makes me nervous: debatable opinions are too closely associated with the gospel itself.

Note that I'm not assuming any ignorance on your part, and I agree that the combination of the precautionary principle and potentiality should lead us to protect human life even when we're not certain of its "personhood" etc. I'm NOT attacking your opinions regarding these principles. I'm expressing disquiet about the trajectory of the analysis -- it just happens to end at fertilization -- and especially about what I see as an inappropriate association of opinions (however noble or excellent) with the gospel.

Steve Matheson

>>> David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> 03/14/09 2:15 PM >>>
You anticipate the problem, Don, but you don't really offer any solution. The problem of euthanasia and what "capable" means is one reason why I think the potentiality principle remains important (though, as we have noted ad nauseum, "important" doesn't in my mind mean "conclusive" or "incontrovertible.") . A human embryo is in fact more "capable" of having "spiritual interaction" than a 90-year-old person, if "capabilities" include all potential interactions over the course of an average human lifetime.

This ties into a very important strand of theory in virtue ethics related to global development, Martha Nussbaum's "capabilities approach." Note that I am NOT suggesting Nussbaum applies this in the same way I might to our present discussion -- in fact, I think Nussbaum's articulation of "capability" is too individualistic. The point is simply that "capabilities" or "potentiality" remain important for many normative theories of ethics.

IMHO, both on either scientific or theological grounds, it is presently impossible to state with any reasonable degree of certainty when "personhood" begins. In my view, this means it's equally impossible to draw meaningful lines about when it is permissible to terminate a human life having some potentential to exercise at least some of the capabilities we associate with personhood -- whether at the very start or very end of biological life. Given that, and given the immense value (not "absolute" value, but immense value) we place (or ought to place) on human life, in my view the precautionary principle strongly weighs against intentional termination of embryonic human life.

Further, I think the view I'm taking here is the most consistent among the presently competing views with a Christian understanding of the human person, the relationships among human persons, and the role of the state. I take as a central ethical imperative Jesus' restatement of the law: to love God with all the heart, mind, soul and strength, and to love one's neighbor as one's self. I further take as a central ethical imperative the repeated Biblical injunction to care for and defend those who are unable to protect themselves against the exercise of power by others. And, I think the state has a particular role as God's vice-regent over human affairs to promote laws consistent with these imperatives.

If there is any reasonable doubt at all about the status of an entity as "human," then, IMHO, the love command and the injunction to defend the powerless compel us to oppose the intentional termination of embryonic human life, as well as human life in its end stages, EVEN IF the purpose of that action is to promote research that might benefit us.

Now, someone might take the line here taken by Ted Peters: beneficence and the love command suggest exactly the opposite -- that we ought to resolve this doubt in favor of persons who unquestionably presently possess human capabilities but who are damaged by illness. (Peters argues this in "Playing God?", in which he acknowledges the potentiality principle, BTW). I can't agree.

Among other things, I think this view ultimately devalues people with disabilities. Disabled people who might benefit from embryonic stem cell research -- whether a paraplegic or my own son with his neurological misfunction -- remain able to exercise human capabilities, with excellence, dignity and beauty. The fact that society views my son as "marred" or "impaired" doesn't justify completely extinguishing the capabilities of another person or potential person. A better approach, IMHO, is to pursue other avenues of research while at the same time exercising love and beneficence by helping people like my son to live meaningful lives within the context of their unique physical abilities. At some point, after all, every one of us must learn to live with the unique limitations fate, or providence, or karma, or whatever you want to call it, hands us.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School
Director, Gibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Don Winterstein
<dfwinterstein@msn.com>

wrote:

IMO abortion, while always traumatic, distasteful and a thing that should be undertaken only as some sort of last resort, isn't murder unless the organism aborted is capable of spiritual interaction at the level of persons. Capability for spiritual interaction at the level of persons, which I regard as tantamount to "having a soul," among humans requires a fairly complete body. A few million cells won't do. In other words, humans don't get souls at conception but at some much later stage of development. In other words, the soul is an emergent property of the body--and you can't prove me wrong on this from Scripture.

If you amputate someone's leg, you're killing human tissue but you're not guilty of murder because you're not killing a person. Destroying a frozen embryo is in a similar category.

Does this mean I'd support mercy killing for the mentally defective on grounds they can't be spiritual? No, because no human can tell where the boundary is between having capability for spiritual interaction and not having such capability. But I'm comfortable sticking my neck out to say that frozen embryos don't have it.

Don