Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 18:11:45 EDT

George said:* **It seems to me that what you mean by "biologically
reductionist" is really just taking of biological science seriously. *

I respond: No, that's just not fair George. I mean simply that no
discussion of the biology can measure or determine whether there is a
"spiritual" component to the human person -- whether we call it "soul" or
not. If we try to determine "personhood" with reference only to biological
categories, we will come up with a reductionist definition that likely (I
would say certainly) will not be true.

Honestly, I sense that both you and Steve Matheson think that I somehow
don't understand or wasn't aware of the complications attached to whether
any given fertilized egg becomes a viable baby. Not so; and I'm also quite
aware of the complications relating to neurobiology and the "soul" or
"mind."

And I have not "absolutized" potentiality. I've said only that potentiality
+ precautionary principle seems to be the only criteria for which we have
reasonable grounds to make assessments.

Maybe you could propose some criteria by which we could adjudicate, to a
sufficient degree of certainty, the determination of when "personhood"
arises?

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School