Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 14:15:00 EDT

You anticipate the problem, Don, but you don't really offer any solution.
The problem of euthanasia and what "capable" means is one reason why I think
the potentiality principle remains important (though, as we have noted ad
nauseum, "important" doesn't in my mind mean "conclusive" or
"incontrovertible.") . A human embryo is in fact more "capable" of having
"spiritual interaction" than a 90-year-old person, if "capabilities" include
all potential interactions over the course of an average human lifetime.

This ties into a very important strand of theory in virtue ethics related to
global development, Martha Nussbaum's "capabilities approach." Note that I
am NOT suggesting Nussbaum applies this in the same way I might to our
present discussion -- in fact, I think Nussbaum's articulation of
"capability" is too individualistic. The point is simply that
"capabilities" or "potentiality" remain important for many normative
theories of ethics.

IMHO, both on either scientific or theological grounds, it is presently
impossible to state with any reasonable degree of certainty when
"personhood" begins. In my view, this means it's equally impossible to draw
meaningful lines about when it is permissible to terminate a human life
having some potentential to exercise at least some of the capabilities we
associate with personhood -- whether at the very start or very end of
biological life. Given that, and given the immense value (not "absolute"
value, but immense value) we place (or ought to place) on human life, in my
view the precautionary principle strongly weighs against intentional
termination of embryonic human life.

Further, I think the view I'm taking here is the most consistent among the
presently competing views with a Christian understanding of the human
person, the relationships among human persons, and the role of the state. I
take as a central ethical imperative Jesus' restatement of the law: to love
God with all the heart, mind, soul and strength, and to love one's neighbor
as one's self. I further take as a central ethical imperative the repeated
Biblical injunction to care for and defend those who are unable to protect
themselves against the exercise of power by others. And, I think the state
has a particular role as God's vice-regent over human affairs to promote
laws consistent with these imperatives.

If there is any reasonable doubt at all about the status of an entity as
"human," then, IMHO, the love command and the injunction to defend the
powerless compel us to oppose the intentional termination of embryonic human
life, as well as human life in its end stages, EVEN IF the purpose of that
action is to promote research that might benefit us.

Now, someone might take the line here taken by Ted Peters: beneficence and
the love command suggest exactly the opposite -- that we ought to resolve
this doubt in favor of persons who unquestionably presently possess human
capabilities but who are damaged by illness. (Peters argues this in
"Playing God?", in which he acknowledges the potentiality principle, BTW).
I can't agree.

 Among other things, I think this view ultimately devalues people with
disabilities. Disabled people who might benefit from embryonic stem cell
research -- whether a paraplegic or my own son with his neurological
misfunction -- remain able to exercise human capabilities, with excellence,
dignity and beauty. The fact that society views my son as "marred" or
"impaired" doesn't justify *completely extinguishing* the capabilities of
another person or potential person. A better approach, IMHO, is to pursue
other avenues of research while at the same time exercising love and
beneficence by helping people like my son to live meaningful lives within
the context of their unique physical abilities. At some point, after all,
every one of us must learn to live with the unique limitations fate, or
providence, or karma, or whatever you want to call it, hands us.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School
Director, Gibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology