Re: [asa] No Need for ICR to Satisfy Education Requirments

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 18:45:17 EDT

I have real mixed feelings about this one, possibly due to an incident
that occurred in our family. My daughter in law, Kristin, was enrolled
in a degree program in acupuncture at the Academy of Oriental Medicine
at Austin when the state board of higher education questioned whether
the school should have been granted a certificate. One issue was that
virtually all of the faculty was educated in China and didn't have US
degrees. That was eventually resolved, but it seems to me that
government has no business regulating higher education. There are
nongovernment accreditation organizations that do a good job of
protecting the public from quack programs. Even at the risk that
HB2800 will let ICR teach creationist geology, I'd rather have the
governmnt keep its nose out of higher education.

--
William E (Bill) Hamilton Jr., Ph.D.
Member American Scientific Affiliation