Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 17:19:23 EDT

Good point Randy. I agree that the embryo adoption thing is weird. The
Christian Legal Society, a very conservative evangelical lawyers' group, did
a feature on embryo adoption in their magazine (presenting it in a positive
light) and it freaked me out. I recognize some inconsistency here with my
views about embryo research perhaps, but there it is.

The lack of regulation of the IVF industry is also scary, IMHO, because of
eugenics. There is virtually no legal regulation of the sorts of
characteristics that can be selected for during pre-implantation screening.
Screening is routinely done today for gender, and embryos are culled simply
because they are the wrong gender. Screening techniques are not currently
so precise as to allow for designer babies, but the law is not prepared for
advances in screening technology that seem inevitable.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School
Director, Gibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology

Regarding David's comment: