RE: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Austerberry, Charles <cfauster@creighton.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 14:17:56 EDT

Good points, George.

On the one hand, sometimes I hear very good insights from RC theologians
when they discuss their "theology of the body", which is a broad
umbrella encompassing opposition to casual sex, as well as their
opposition to assisted reproduction techniques, therapeutic/research use
of human cloning and hESCs, abortion, etc.

But then on the other hand, as you say, some go overboard if they still
oppose any and all sexual activity that does not potentially result in
procreation. Furthermore, sometimes they extend the theology to justify
mandatory celibacy for priests and nuns, the necessity of Mary's
perpetual virginity, the limitation of the priesthood to men, etc. I
think they're trying to weave rather disparate and often weak threads
into some kind of whole cloth, which gets pretty strained.

I've read Augustine, and he's fascinating. As a Christian he was really
bothered by the way sexual passion can take over a person's will. Of
course, he was speaking from personal experience, as he was quite
promiscuous for a time, then had a mistress for a time, before his
conversion to Christianity. If it could somehow be done without
passion, I think he would have found sexual intercourse much easier to
accept as a good gift from God. Even someone as modern as C. S. Lewis
once speculated that perhaps an effect of the Fall was to give animals
and humans desire for more sex than is prudent and necessary for
propagation of species.

That sex can be tainted with selfishness and sin seems undeniable. But,
some of the practical results of RC theology of the body based on
Augustine's views may be nonsensical, as George notes. For example,
while the Pope Paul VI Institute <http://www.popepaulvi.com/> in Omaha
does great work treating infertility in women, if a couple's infertility
is due to problems in the man, the Institute is very limited. I don't
think they do sperm counts because in their view, I believe, obtaining
semen would require an act contrary to Church teaching.

Now to be fair, most modern RC theologians have noted some of
Augustine's deficiencies, and they acknowledge the value of sexual
relations within marriage even when procreation is impossible (e.g.
intentionally timing relations when the woman is infertile, continuing
relations when the woman is postmenopausal). And, I very much appreciate
the RC church's protection of women who want to maintain pregnancies
when boyfriends, parents, insurance companies, etc. are urging the woman
to abort. Too many women have been victims of abortion clinics that
hide information from their clients.

So all in all, I think Catholics are more right than wrong on
reproductive issues across the board. But, George's points are also
well taken.

Cheers.

Chuck

Charles (Chuck) F. Austerberry, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biology
Hixson-Lied Room 438
Creighton University
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
Phone: 402-280-2154
Fax: 402-280-5595
e-mail: cfauster@creighton.edu
http://groups.creighton.edu/premedsociety/

Nebraska Religious Coalition for Science Education
http://nrcse.creighton.edu