Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 13:01:59 EDT

Chuck -

I think RC ethics in reproductive matters is in a way too consistent internally & thereby damages not only their own credibility but that of pro-life people in general. This ethic is strongly (I do not say exclusively) informed by natural law arguments that in some cases are simply outdated - in particular, the Aristotelian natural/artificial distinction. Opposition to "artificial" contraception while allowing "natural" methods of birth control simply makes no sense. There is no logical connection between that position and opposition to abortion, e.g., but they're seen by many people as part of a total package so that they don't take either position very seriously, seeing them both as outdated ideas.

Shalom
George