Re: [asa] on miracles

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 09:19:24 EDT

David Campbell as a paleontologist is better able to address your questions than I.

However, I believe God's primary goal has to do with large groups (see the apostle Paul's characterizations of the Church as a collective body--e.g., 1 Corinthians 12) and--except for Christ--not with individuals. In order for a large group to act as a single body there must be lots of specialized parts (eyes, ears, hands, feet, etc.) communicating well over considerable distances. For a large body, such good communication would seem to require a certain amount of technology, and developing technology in turn would seem to require a certain minimum of physical and mental capabilities. A big brain, a high level of symbolic manipulation and opposable thumbs come to mind. A conducive environment, such as land and air as opposed to sea, might also be crucial.

In other words, while I agree with David C. that God is far more concerned with spiritual than physical attributes of his creatures--and his predestining may well not have included shapes of individual body parts--it's hard for me to imagine any form of marine life or invertebrate life becoming capable of satisfying God's larger (presumed) requirement. (Well, maybe if dolphins had arms and hands with opposable thumbs.... But how would they smelt ores under water? We can go into water and air and space; marine animals would have great difficulty doing much of anything out of water.)

And while Gould may have exaggerated the randomness of evolution, from what I know of it, and most emphatically in acknowledgement of the effects of mass extinctions, it seems very likely that starting evolution at different times and places would lead to significantly different outcomes. While "changing one electron" should not have a major effect (unless it caused a crucial mutation!), even a minor extinction event should have a noticeable effect. For example, such extinction is likely to give some species a new competitive advantage that in turn may lead it to eliminate still other species.

Many authors have pointed out that more than 99% of all species have gone extinct. Chances seem very good that, under conditions of randomness and without any special guidance, the species God wanted would not have survived.

Don