Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 07:39:08 EDT

David -

Your 2d paragraph below would have obviated the need for much of my criticism if stated earlier. (Of course I can't speak for others.) As I said earlier, I think insistence on moving ahead now with ESCR is at least premature. But the tone of your earlier arguments, complete with fallback positions, gave the impression that when all is said & done you just aren't going to consider the possibility that ESCR could ever be appropriate.

In the present venue at least it might be more helpful to discuss the "specifically religious arguments" you mention in the 3d paragraph. Appeals to potentiality & a precautionary principle have their place (the former much more than the latter) but when they're presented as fallback positions from unspecified religious arguments the whole thing sounds a bit like that old lawyer joke - "My client didn't do it, and besides it was an accident, and anyway the guy had it coming."

Shalom
George