Re: [asa] Article (in our local paper) on evolution mentions Collins

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 23:09:54 EDT

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Dave Wallace wrote:

> John Burgeson (ASA member) wrote:
>> "... He is also a fundamentalist
>> Christian "
>>
>> Would Collins accept that label? It does not fit him.
>>
>> Burgy
>>

> No he probably would not accept the label as a fundamentalist however, the
> newspaper seems to always refer to Christians in that way. Sigh I would
> not accept that label either.
>
> Dave W

I don't think that there are very many Christians whose first preference
for a label would be fundamentalist because the term has evolved into
something with a pejorative connotation. It is used of fanatical Islamic
extremists, and the media are prone to use it in reporting on embarrassing
statements made by well known Christian personalities. The term is derived
from the collection of articles titled "The Fundamentals: A Testimony to
the Truth", which appears to have been a response to the Higher Criticism.
I don't know of any of the articles that advocated Ussher's chronology or
anything like it, and even though there were some articles against
evolution, there was an article that said that evolution was another name
for creation.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)