Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 21:12:34 EDT

No, David, a zygote or an embryo does not have in itself the potential to become a person. It requires an appropriate relationship with its environment - i.e., a uterus as part of a living woman.

Of course reproductive cloning would require something in addition to that. But in neither case do we begin with a cell that has some potential for human personhood in & of itself. & if you're going to argue that the difference of "natural" & "artificial" development is critical I'll say preemptively that that's a very weak argument, at least for those for whom Aristotle isn't the last word.

Shalom
George