Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Douglas Hayworth <haythere.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 13:20:53 EDT

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Stephen Matheson <smatheso@calvin.edu>wrote:

> Doug has misquoted the president.
>

> “make scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology”

Yes, that is subtly different from what I wrote from memory.

Thanks for the correction/clarification, Stephen. I fully admit that I based
my post only on what I heard last night and this morning on NPR. As I said
in my response to Burgy, I generally think the president is smarter and more
thoughtful than this one comment implies on its own. I am pleased to know
that this is true in this case, too.

Yet, the fact that this short soundbite is the main thing being reported is
troubling. In fact, the NPR reports included comments from secondary
officials and interested parties, and they also reiterated this same
soundbite rather than discussing the root difference in ideology (i.e., what
is deemed of greater good to society).

This makes me think that there is a general societal misunderstanding or
"dishonesty" about this issue.

Doug